The community of Dettah is located 27 km by an all season road from the City of Yellowknife and 6.5 km by winter ice road. According to NWT Bureau of Statistics, the population of Dettah is 248.
The Dene of Dettah have traditionally hunted and trapped in the area. During the late-18th century, the Yellowknives Chipewyan tribe acquired guns, making it the most powerful group in the region and allowing their Chief Akaitcho to oppress the neighbouring Dene tribes. In 1823, the Dogrib began to retake their old hunting grounds under Chief Edzo who, with the help of his Yellowknives brother-in-law, Kaw-Tay-Whee, made peace with Akaitcho. Previously, Dettah was a seasonal fishing camp until the City of Yellowknife was established to pave the way for gold mining.
The community of N’dilo is located on the north end of Latham Island, adjacent to the City of Yellowknife. Despite being located next to Yellowknife, N’dilo remains independent and is considered a distinct community. N’dilo became a permanent settlement in the early 1940s. According to NWT Bureau of Statistics, the population of N’dilo is 321.